The Stacy House
in 1899 and used as a summer home until 1946, the Stacy House has gone by
many names. George Stacy, a prominent local hotelier and
businessman, envisioned a high style colonial revival perched on the edge of
the ocean as a wedding gift to his new bride, Jane Parker. The intricate
detail, the bright white color and tiered appearance earned the first
nickname, “the Wedding Cake House”. Much to his chagrin, Mrs. Stacy refused
to move in. As a prominent member of society, she felt it would be too
secluded for guests to come out to Bass Rocks on visiting day. The Stacy
House was rented to Jerome Remmick of the New York music publishing company
as a summer home for close to 30 years. Thus the name “Remmick House”. After
George Stacy’s death in 1928, the house was sold to Catherine Sterns, who
named the house “Rockmont”. In 1940’s, the house was sold again to Jane and
Karl Muller. They
were the first to open the house to paying guests. In the early 1960’s, the
property was sold to their sons Gerald and Geoffrey, who over a three year
span, constructed the adjacent buildings.
The first floor has retained much of the original design. The original
sitting room houses our lobby with period pieces and original artwork by
prominent local artist John Nesta. The parlor has become our sitting room. The dining room
remains and now opens to the porch that has been enclosed as an additional
dining room. The library also has an antique billiard table, guest computer,
dart board, and board games for all ages.
second floor has undergone an extensive renovation to the guest rooms.
Having not been used for decades, the essentials we have come to expect had
to be added. We replaced the gas lamps, the shared
bathrooms, and the creaky floors with three suites featuring a bedroom with
king sized pillow top bed, separate sitting area or room , Jacuzzi tubs and
one with a gas fireplace built into the original. Telephones, flat screen
HDTV's, and internet access still do not detract from the views. The original
architecture of the house has been the design theme and much of the original
woodwork and room structure has been preserved.
|Important Note: Due to licensing restrictions, the Stacy House Suites are limited to two adults at all times. Additional people and children are not permitted at any time. These are not Bridal Suites.